Friday, January 14, 2011

Food

I have to admit that prior to having E and even when he was little, I had some pretty strong conviction about the type and quality of food that he would be permitted to eat. I managed to go quite a long time controlling and limiting his intake to healthy food. I am embarrassed to admit that I have let myself convictions weakened and my will power slide. I really want to change this. I can fully admit that Emory eats thing I would rather him not because either I am eating it or it is easier at the time. It is increasingly challenging as we break away from pureed food and try to transition to table food. My hubby and I are not junk food junkies by any stretch but we do enjoy some junk. I lean towards salty/crunchy and he leans toward sweet. We do not give Emory candy, except for an occasional bit here or there. He does however eat more processed.salty things that I would prefer so guess what??? I am going to work change it and in the process change my ways as well! There are extensive advice columns out there they discuss how small children model eating patterns after their parents. Makes sense right? No kid comes out of the womb craving a chicken nugget. Now I will no sign myself for failure by saying he will never have junk, it just isn't realistic but I can go as far to say it will be limited to one meal once or twice per week. So today is a new day and back to being the food nazi I used to be!

5 comments:

  1. Following in line with this post, E and I had yogurt parfait for breakfast for Mickey D's. And I a sausage McMuffin which wwhile it isn't "healthy" it is alot of better that the bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit and hashbrown that I really wanted or pancakes for E! I made coffee at home to save money. Grand total for our take out breakfast was $3.15!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my fear with Lana. We are pretty "crunchy" when it comes to food as far as organics and non processed stuff at home. But we love to eat out and I can't control what other people use or cook. I love making things from scratch when possible. Lana prefers to feed herself and its getting harder to figure out what to feed her from our plate. I watched some video of McD's food preserving for years so I can honestly say that I haven't desired to go back into a McD's in a long time, although it is hard to resist Chickfila. I try to replace the junk food with like kind healthy. So instead of ice cream for dessert, I like granola with blackberry kefir. It's sweet and satisfies the sweet tooth. I try to replace salt with Herbamare which is an organic replacement for salt with a lot of other herbs and flavors. I like it on just about anything. But all you can do is the best you can do. It's hard to do 100% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely working towards that goal, slowly but surely. And we do try to keep it to a mimnimum for the most part. I have started shopping more at Trader Joes which is a smaller market with limited options, most of which are healthy. I can feel Emory taking on traditional "toddler food" patterns which I cannot stand! Chik Fil A is in a different league to me than the other places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting kids to eat anything at all is the biggest challenge.. I would like to hear from anybody who has a problem of getting kids to eat and how they solved the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have discovered some success in creating "dip" friendly meals! My hubby just purchased some bpa free suction bowls to help facilitate that with no dumping!

    ReplyDelete