Saturday, January 21, 2012

TV Monster

We have created a TV monster. As E as gotten older, we have allowed tv programming to enter his life but only under strict guidelines. He is only allowed to view PBS sponsored programming. We normally allow him to watch tv for short periods of time after he wakes up in the morning and after nap. It serves two purposes, 1) it allows him to ease into wakefulness because quite frankly sometimes he is a really crab (like is Daddy) and 2) it gives us snuggle time with our son who is constantly on the go. However, I have noticed it creeping into other times of the day as a source of entertainment so we can take a minute to breath, get something done, etc. I remember who vehemently I disagreed with this method when he was younger (and I didn't know any better). Last week's illness has only heightened this issue. He was so sick that he needed to spend lots of time resting and the our bed and TV provided a comfortable place for him to get this much needed rest. So yes, we have no one else but ourselves to blame! So now we must start the invention process despite the crying fits and loss of self time. It must be done. I certainly will not try to push my husband to follow any strict schedule as he is the stay at home parent but at this point, I think we both see it is an issue. And with baby # 2 coming this summer, we don't want he/she to be exposed to too much TV and have the same benefit as Emory. So I am about to take a deep breath, attempt a distractions, and turn off his show!

Wish me luck!

1 comment: