Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Enjoying the Process

As some of you may have learned by now, my husband and I are expecting our second child in late July/early August of this year. This pregnancy really took my by surprise which is odd because we were not using birth control so technically "were trying." I went through one full cycle after getting of the pill and the next month, boom pregnant! I am certainly not complaining because I fully recognize that it makes many people a long time and lots of effort to get pregnant. However, it really took me back. It is one thing to dream of the days of pregnancy and newborn with fondness however it is quite another to accept the reality that all of this needs to be incorporated into your already busy life. I had told myself that with my second pregnancy (especially since we plan for it to be the last) I would enjoy it more and stress less. There is so much more settled in our lives than with the early stages of my pregnancy with E.

However, once that pee stick showed a double line the old ways kicked right in. I started stressing about the impact to our family and could be handle it. What if it was girl and I had to buy all new clothes? Should I change the nursery? What kind of bedding would E have? Would I use cloth from day one or disposables? What is I miscarried? What is this baby wasn't healthy? What if I drank too much coffee? How much weight was I going to gain? How was I going to start exercising again? Was I going for a VBAC or a planned s c section? And on and on and on...Then somewhere along the line in the past few weeks, I started to regain control. Most of the stuff on this list is either not important or those things of which I have no control. I do not want to look back and say I stressed the whole time or worse stressed my husband who is normally much more laid back about these things. So I have taken a collective deep breath and allowed time to bring about these answers. So going forward, I am trying to keep my cool and worry less so I can enjoy the process of it all because like most beautiful stages of life....if you blink you will miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment