Sunday, January 8, 2012

Real Food

Like most people, the start of the new year bring about resolutions and goals. I don't have a list of new things but will simply try to get back to the normal goals I have for myself and my family. Since the birth of my son and maybe even before I have had a interest in eating more "real food." The definitition of that term means different things to different people but for me it means to eat better quality foods along with more fruits and vegetables while keeping overly processed items to a minimum. Now does that mean I will never eat anything out of a box or a bag or even indulge occasionally in something greasy/unhealthy? Most certainly not but what it does mean is that less of my food choices will be surrounded by those items. In order to do this, I have been trying to plan in advance for meals and snacks. My husband does a lot of our cooking but I try to help out on my work from home days and weekends. So in the spirit of planning ahead here are some of the items on the menu for this week:

Breakfast
-Irish Oatmeal
-Whole Wheat Toast w/ Natural Peanut Butter
-Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
-Whole Grain Cereal
-Eggs, any style

Lunch
-Egg Salad with Whole Grain Crackers
-Grilled Cheese with Whole Wheat Bread
-PBJ with Whole Wheat Bread

Dinner
-Homemade Chicken Nuggets with Sweet Potatoe Fries
-Slow Cooked Pork Sandwiches
-Chicken Pot Pie
-Homemade Hamburgers

*I am also going to try for 5-7 fruits/ vegetables per diem. I currently have the following fresh produce:
-Navel Oranges
-Clementines
-Bananas
-Strawberries
-Apples
-Green Grapes
-Colored Peppers
-Tomatoes
-Celery
-Romaine Lettuce

Tonight's Dinner:
Caprese Salad
Stuffed Shells with Pomodoro Sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment