Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Getting over yourself

Have you ever had a moment when you knew you were standing in your own way or making something harder than it needed to be?  We use a phrase around here, "Get over yourself. "   That is what I had to do regarding an issue recently.  I will attempt to keep this as short and sweet as possible. About 6 years ago, my husband found my "dream car" for me through an on line search.  It was a gently used Toyota Highlander. Isn't she pretty?!?


Well that was back in 2008 and while for many years the Highlander was sheltered from the daily commute into the city, this changed as of last year when Nick returned to full time work.  I no longer felt comfortable using my various non-driving commuting options for fear of needing to be pickup a sick child from daycare.  Plus those other methods are more time consuming as you have to wait for a ride of adhere to a bus schedule. And let's just say after a year and a half I still can't quite nail down a finite schedule.  For me, I need to have flexibility to adjust to temper tantrums, milk spills, etc. I digress...

The time has come for me to make a permanent switch to our other vehicle, a much newer and still fully loaded Toyota Camry. It is newer, has better fuel efficiency, and all around a better choice for me to drive on a daily basis.  However, I can't possibly drive two cars at once so that would mean my precious Highlander would go to my husband for his daily 14 mile commute to his meeting spot.

Easy decision, right?  Nope, because I DIDN'T WANNA!! My poor husband even tried to work a plan where he would get my old Highlander and we could trade in the PAID OFF Camry on a newer Highlander.  However when we rain the numbers, we weren't willing to take out a loan for the amount needed to finance a the newer Highlander.  Total brat, huh?  So after resisting for all this time, I finally sucked it up and decided to make the change. Of course this decision to change came at 5:40am yesterday morning.  My gracious husband quickly vacuumed out the "boy dirt,"secured the care seats, and had the care running for us to head off to daycare.

It is so hard to put our wants aside for the good of the family. To rank wants vs. needs. However, this is the best financial choice for our family and I know sometime in the not so distance future when my debt is reduced and savings are increased I will be able to get a newer Highlander without any guilt.





No comments:

Post a Comment