Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Our big purchase

So today we made a big purchase and not one you would expect. Today I purchased a headstone for my father's grave. As you may remember, my father passed away last year. I have lots offeelings and emotions connected to this purchase as you can imagine but in the end I am happy to be a position to be able to do it. As I met with the cemetery rep today, I thought about how I would be attending my 10 year college reunion next weekend. That's right, 10 years! I also thought back to the man who helped make that dream possible, the man who financially supported me whenever I needed it so it seemed only right that I would return the favor. It was an amazing sense of independence to be able to pick it our and design it myself with little care to what any one else thought or wanted. This was not the case when I helped to plan his funeral and will always bring me a bit of resentment. But today, I did what no one else in my immediate family is financially able to do. So from now one when I take my son, and later my daughter, to visit their "Paw Paul", they will have a beautiful spot to look upon. My father deserved much better than the ending he was given but now at least my husband and I can be proud that we gave him the honor and respect he deserves.

3 comments:

  1. This is a happy post because he gets to be honored by his daughter and grandchildren. Hang in there, Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K-You are right, this is a happy post! I haven't had a second thought and can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete