Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Keep on rolling...

A few years ago on Labor Day weekend none the less, my husband and I decided to go out and buy roller blades. We had seen a lot about rollerblading with dogs on the Dog Whisperer and since we had 3 active pit bulls we thought, what the heck? So we went to the store and picked out our blades and I of course invested in some protective gear for my arms, knees, and elbows. Right out of the gate, NK was awesome. It was like riding a bike for him. He was jumping curbs and speeding down hills. For me? Not so much. I coule get the rythm down of rolling but could not get over the fear of going down any type of incline...I mean any. I would feel like I was losing control and move over into the grass.

Fast forward, three years and one baby later...we are back to rollerblading. We went over to a the local jogging path when NK had scoped out the flatest part for me to start practicing. E tooks his place in the jogging stroller. I put on my wrist/hand guards and my elbow pads along with my blades and off we went. It took a few minutes but I really started getting into the groove. I even decided to go up an incline! And you know what? I did it and then turned around and went again. Now this may not be a big feat for some but for me it was huge. We all celebrated and I speed up my pace with the breeze blowing against. It was wonderful until....I hit a patch of gravel and lost my footing! Darn it! There I was tumbled over, knees scraped and bruising. So what did I do? I got up gingerly, let NK help dust me off, squeezed back the tears and kept on rolling!! That's right, I keep on rolling. Isn't that symbolic? How many times in life does something knock us over? We have always have a choice. Let it keep us down or get back up and keep going. I don't know about you but I choose to keep going.

The night ended with a trip to the store to pick up a sweet treat for me and I could tell my hubby was proud of me! He even helped me bandage my knee last night. I may not be out there again today but I promise you will see me "rolling" on again!

1 comment: