Sunday, February 26, 2012

Missing Cloth


I never thought I'd really say this but both my husband and I were missing our cloth diapers this week. We live in a home with a well which every now and then again revolts against us, spewing out rust colored water. Luckily we do have a water treatment system but after a couple of years, it is still learning process for us. The original company who installed the system was awful but luckily last spring we found a great guy who we love and has taught as all the details of how to work our system. In any case, the rust colored water left me with a problem. Once we used all of our clean cloth, we could not wash them in fear of staining them all. So we had to wait it out and use disposables.
At first, it seems great. Disposables are easy, right? Just wipe and toss. But after a few days, the novelty wore off particularly when I had to go by more at the store. Even my husband made a comment last night that he would feel more urgency to enforce potty training if we were paying for disposables. Who knew anothe benefit of cloth was to allow us to do potty learning at our own pace?
Our diapers made it back into rotation yesterday and while I think we did get some staining, I think it will fade in time and honestly I could care less. My goal is to get the most out of these diapers while I have them for both kiddos. If I am able to resale or pass them down after we are down in another few years then great, if not oh well!
This has also made me even more convinced that I will work cloth into our routine early with baby number two. I have already have a small stash that is just for this baby that includes 2 small BumGenuis 3.0s, 2 medium Bum Genius 3.0s. 3 BumGenuis 4.0 Artist Series, and 1 Econobum Cover. I have my hot little hands on an Amazon Gift card that my husband generously offered up for the baby. I am waiting until we find out the gender in two weeks before I make any purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment