Friday, May 21, 2010

Consignment Shopping and Yard Sale-ing


Hello all! I can't believe how quickly times passes for me now that I am a mom. It is hard to believe that May is more than half over! I am super happy today because my college roommmate who is one of my closest friends just had her baby this morning! A baby boy at that. I am really looking forward to rasing our sons together.

A few weeks ago I made a weekend adventure out to Warrenton to attend a consignment, community, and yard sales. It was a great weekend for it and we fould lots of great finds! We were able to get some larger toys and lots of clothes/shoes that were all in great condition. At one house alone we picked up a large bag of clothes with nothing but name brand clothes and shoes like Polo, Gymboree, Baby Gap,stride Rite, Saucony, etc. This mama spent A LOT of money on her son's clothes and she was pregnant with a girl! In order to make the most out of second shopping, I would recommend a few things:

1) Go early- It is true that the early bird catches the worm. You are able to get the first pick at the nicest items. The only downside is that because it is early the seller may not be as willing to negotiate.

2) Be Picky- Take your time and look over items completely before you purchase. I have been burned a few times by rushing to buy something because it was name brand or a "good deal" only to find it wasn't in very good condition.

3)Don't be afarid to haggle- For the most part, people are more than willing to work a deal with you to unload their stuff. That last thing anyone wans to do is haul their sutff back into their after putting it all out. But remember to be reasonable!

4) Look for name brands- More often than not, if you spend more you get more. I have found thi to be especially true with baby/childrens clothes. Name brand items last longer. As an example, E inherited a Polo hoodie from his cousin who is 16! Name brands companies also tend to make less trendy items which can be worn forever.

So there are a few of my tips for getting the best items at a bargain. Children's clothing is a great item to purchase second hand because they grow so quickly that the items are usually never worn. And most importantly you can save so much!


I am posting a few pics of the E's new rocking dinosaur and our new backpack carrier. Grand total for these items...$7!

No comments:

Post a Comment