Saturday, January 3, 2015

Thoughts on 2015 finances and budgeting

Like many other people, one of my goals for 2015 is to regain a better handle of our finances.  Our financial situation has improved this year. NPK worked hard to earn a pay raise and I earned a promotion with a new job!  However, that "extra" money can easily get lost in the shuffle if I don't make a plan.  I have to admit my husband is a little better about taking any extra earning right out of the regular bank account and stockpiling for an unexpected repair or need.  Me..not so much.  I start thinking about all the things I can now but with that extra boost and if I am honest, most of them are not needs at all but luxuries I feel I "deserve." My plan this year is to erase that mindset and look towards to the long term.  We have three larger debts I am planning to attack this year.  I don't feel comfortable giving totals but I will say one is a credit card, one is a a low interest consumer loan left over from our short sale in 2010, and my new Highlander. We are already paying more than minimums and on the right track but I want to see more progress!  In order to do so I am going to be more intentional with how we spend our money and where it goes.  I will be working on revising our budget this weekend now that I have a more realistic idea of my new earnings.  I am also scouring the web for easy ways to save a little more money where we can. No brainers like saving electricity, meal planning, making lists before shopping...all the easy stuff that goes out he window when you wait until you are hungry and tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment