Sunday, June 8, 2014

Whole30 turns into Real Food

So 8 days into June and I can say without fear that I stopped following the Whole 30.  It is great plan and has some many benefits but the extensive restrictions were making me stressed!  The whole idea was to do something for me to care for myself not be stressed.  That being said, I have not gone back the Standard American Diet either. I found such benefits from eliminating junk food, integrating more veggies, and planning my meals that I do not want to go back to the way it was before which was my ultimate plan. So I am creating my own lifestyle plan that I think will work with my life and accommodate cooking for our family as well.

1) Still limiting sugar. Nothing artificial for sure and no high fructose corn syrup.  For now, I am trying also limit things like agave, maple syrup, and honey.  In time out  of necessity this items may comeback into the plan.

2) No processed carbs. No white pasta, white rice, and only sprouted bread. I am still deciding about oatmeal. I love it so much but may abstain for a little longer.

3) Limited to no dairy

4) Legumes. I think beans on the whole are great for you but after eating lentils the other day the bloat was so obvious and painful. I am going to look at soaking and sprouting these items before eating.

5) Keep Moving!! I have worked out 4 times over the past 8 days and it feels great!

From just the past week and watching the things I put into my body, I have had more energy and less reliance on coffee! I am a little less grumpy too. The bloat is gone. I am also reassessing my views on food all together. From this few strong themes have emerged. 1) As a follower of Christ, I believe I was given this body by God and it is my responsibility to care for it well not abuse it. 2) I have become overly obsessed with food. 3) Eating well should not be hard. We are blessed to live in country with great access to a variety food and are far more wealthy than most of those around the world. I am keeping those around the world on my heart from now on as I make my food choices.

Sometimes taking things away as in a fast, can make you understand yourself better. The wheels are churning here people so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment